Justus von Liebig -
Award for World Nutrition
The Justus von Liebig Award was the first award after the Second World War, which was granted by the Alfred Toepfer Foundation F.V.S. It was named after the German chemist Justus von Liebig (1803 - 1873) and was donated by the Hamburg merchant, farmer and honorary citizen Dr. h.c. mult. Alfred Toepfer, who established in Hamburg the F.V.S. foundation in 1931. Since the 1960s the Alfred Toepfer Foundation F.V.S gained international prestige for its work.
From 1949 to 2006 the Alfred Toepfer Stiftung F.V.S. honored individuals or associations who have made a special contribution to European agriculture in the scientific field or in practice, until 1981 annually and starting from 1982 on a two-yearly basis.
In 2007 the Father and Son Eiselen Foundation took over this award from the Alfred Toepfer Stiftung F.V.S. and under the changed objective of bringing the world food situation into focus. Thus, the name of the prize was also changed in Justus von Liebig-Award for World Nutrition. Since January 1, 2010, this award had been one of the tasks which the Foundation fiat panis had taken over from the Father and Son Eiselen Foundation. The prize is awarded every two years, beginning in 2009, and is endowed with 25,000 EUR. It is granted basically undivided.